Questions? We can help. Contact Us Today!

Call us now

Cantonment ➔ Pensacola ➔ Navarre
Gulf Breeze ➔ Milton

[Skip to Content]
News Post

Estate Attorney ➔ Probate Lawyer ➔
Death Certificates
Cantonment ➔ Pensacola ➔ Navarre

Correcting a Florida Death Certificate is relatively easy...
except when it's not.

Typically a Florida Death certificate can be corrected through Florida Vital Statistics by filing an Application for Amendment to Florida Death Record (DH Form 524) along with an Affidavit of Amendment to Certificate of Death (DH Form 433) or an Affidavit of Amendment to Medical Certification of Death (DH Form 434).

These documents (along with additional evidence in some cases) are sufficient to alter:

  • Name of Deceased
  • Date of Birth
  • Citizenship from Alien to United States Citizen
  • Names of Parents
  • Cause of Death
  • Date and/or Place Of Death
  • A Misspelling or an Omission of the Surviving Spouse

Unfortunately, if a Death Certificate improperly lists an individual as unmarried, divorced, or widowed or lists as a spouse a person who was not, in fact, married to the decedent, these forms are insufficient to legally modify the Death Certificate. These errors regarding the Surviving Spouse or Marital Status can be accidental or they can be intentional, but they can delay or prevent the payment of insurance claims or survivorship benefits.

In these situations, no matter how they were created or who is at fault, there is only one way to modify your loved one's death record-- you must sue the Florida Department of Health.

After working with families for nearly a decade correcting erroneous Death Certificates, I believe that we have streamlined the process to assist our clients in correcting these mistakes as quickly as possible.